This post originally appeared on Our Toasty Life
I love breakfast and I come from a long line of breakfast loving families.
I could eat “breakfast” food for any meal of the day, any day of the week. My mom taught at a very young age her recipe for coffee cake and I soon took over the coffee cake baking responsibilities. The absolute best part of the coffee cake with the cinnamon brown sugar swirl/topping. I would always add extra of the topping in one corner of the cake and cut the piece for myself first
I searched the internet I found a couple folks had added unsulphured blackstrap molasses to Swerve sweetner with great results. I decided to give it a try using a bit less molasses than what other folks had mentioned and it worked perfectly!
The brown sugar butter topping melts while the cake is cooking and turns into a swirl and seeps into the cake making it taste SO delicious.
- 1/2 cup Swerve Sweetener
- 1 ½ tsp. unsulferated molases
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter, softened
- 7 large organic eggs
- 1/2 cup organic heavy cream (or coconut cream)
- 2/3 cup swerve
- 1/2 cup + 1/8 cup (or 2 Tbsp) organic coconut flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- In a stand mixer, combine Swerve and molasses and mix on low until well combined. I usually make a double or triple batch of “brown sugar” to have on standby. The minimum molasses i found i could use and still get the brown sugar consistency is 1 cup swerve to 3 tsp molasses.
- Remove from mixer and add to small bowl. Reserve 1 Tbsp for later.
- Add butter and cinnamon and mix with fork. Set aside
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease 9x9 or 7X12 baking dish with butter or coconut oil. sed aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and swerve until well mixed.
- Add the coconut flour to the egg mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Wait for 5 minutes until the batter is thick. Add cream and mix well.
- Fill prepared baking pan with batter. Sprinkle topping evenly over batter. While the cake is cooking the butter will melt bringing some of the "sugar" mixture into the cake giving the awesome swirled effect.
- Bake for 35-38* minutes, or until a stick inserted in the middle of the muffin comes out almost dry.*20 minutes in sprinkle reserved tablespoon of brown “sugar” evenly over cake.
- Let cool and serve.
This cake taste good at room temperature, but taste DELICIOUS warmed up. If you aren't serving it warm out of the oven, just pop a slice in the microwave for 10 seconds and it will be perfect!
Nutritional Info: Calories 85 Total Fat 6 g Net Carbs 1 (Carbs 3 - Dietary Fiber 2) Protein 3 g
Note I dont include carbs from Swerve/Erythritol. Nutritional information from MyFitnessPal and may very slightly based on ingredients used